Dear Readers of Daily Vocabulary Update,
As we know that all competitive exams whether it is Banking or SSC or any, are lined up in upcoming months and vocabulary plays a crucial role to score minimum 4-5 marks within few seconds if you are going to learn Vocabulary on the very daily basis it will going to help you to get that marks easily in your pocket. So here Daily Vocabulary update provides you with some words on daily basis to help you to attain your goal.
Thought of the day: “Never give up. Have hope. Expect only the best from life and take action to get it.”
Daily Vocabulary Update-
1. Actuary(Noun)- A person who compiles and analyses statistics and uses them to calculate insurance risks and premiums.
- SYNONYMS: adversary, airy-fairy.
- Example: Nicholson questioned insurance actuaries about their profession.
2.Reckoning(Noun)- The action or process of calculating or estimating something.
- SYNONYMS: calculation, estimation, computation, working out, summation, counting.
- Example: Kushyar’s Principles of Hindu reckoning was written about 1000 AD.
3.Repugnance(Noun)- A strong feeling of dislike or disgust.
- SYNONYMS: revulsion, disgust, abhorrence, repulsion, nausea, loathing, horror, hatred, detestation, aversion, abomination, distaste, antipathy, dislike, contempt, odium.
- Example: She could write poetry that expresses her repugnance toward being deceived.
4.Amity(Noun)- Friendly relations.
- SYNONYMS: friendship, friendliness, peace, peacefulness, peaceableness, harmony, harmoniousness, understanding, accord, concord, concurrence, cooperation, amicableness, goodwill, cordiality, warmth, geniality, fellowship, fraternity, brotherhood, brotherliness.
- Example: the presence of French troops in Scotland had produced hostility rather than amity.
5.Cessation(Noun)-The fact or process of ending or being brought to an end.
- SYNONYMS: end, ending, termination, stopping, halting, ceasing, finish, finishing, stoppage, closing, closure, close, conclusion, winding up, discontinuation, discontinuance, breaking off, abandonment, interruption, suspension, cutting short.
- Example: the cessation of hostilities.
6. Oust(Verb)- Drive out or expel (someone) from a position or place.
- SYNONYMS: drive out, expel, force out, throw out, remove, remove from office, remove from power, eject, get rid of, depose, topple, unseat, overthrow, bring down, overturn, put out, drum out, thrust out, push out, turn out, purge, evict, dispossess, dismiss, dislodge, displace, supplant, disinherit, show someone the door.
- Example: the reformists were ousted from power.
7. Castigate(Noun)- to criticize (someone) severely.
- SYNONYMS: reprimand, rebuke, admonish, chastise, chide, upbraid, reprove, reproach, scold, remonstrate with, berate, take to task, pull up, lambaste, read someone the riot act, give someone a piece of one’s mind, haul over the coals, lecture, criticize, censure.
- Example: he was castigated for not setting a good example.
8. Contravention(Noun)- An action which offends against a law, treaty, or other rulings.
- SYNONYMS: breach, violation, infringement, non-observance, breaking, transgression, neglect, dereliction.
- Example: There were repeated raids by one side upon the other in contravention of treaty terms.
9. Derogatory(Adj)- Showing a critical or disrespectful attitude.
- SYNONYMS: disparaging, denigratory, belittling, diminishing, slighting, deprecatory, depreciatory, depreciative, detracting, deflating.
- Example: she tells me I’m fat and is always making derogatory remarks.
10.Bitts(Noun)- A pair of posts on the deck of a ship for fastening mooring lines or cables.
- Example: She has done considerable damage to herself, my after bitts are sheared off level with the deck, my stern chocks are pulled out and about 10 feet of the rail, including two stanchions.
For Daily updates please go through Daily Vocabulary. Follow us