Dear Readers of Daily Vocabulary Update,
As we know that all competitive exams whether it is Banking or SSC or any, are lined up in upcoming months and vocabulary plays a crucial role to score minimum 4-5 marks within few seconds if you are going to learn Vocabulary on the very daily basis it will going to help you to get that marks easily in your pocket. So here Daily Vocabulary update provides you with some words on daily basis to help you to attain your goal.
Thought of the day: A few bad chapters does not mean your story is over.
Daily Vocabulary Update-
1. Overhear(Verb)- to hear (speech or a speaker) without the speaker’s intention or knowledge.
- SYNONYMS: heard, discovered, recorded, catch , take in.
- Example: We overheard the conversation at the next table.
2.Entail(verb)- Involve (something) as a necessary or inevitable part or consequence.
- SYNONYMS: necessitate, make necessary, require, need, demand, call for.
- Example: A situation which entails risks.
3.Pinprick(noun)- A minor annoyance or irritation.
- SYNONYMS: irritant, source of irritation, source of vexation, annoyance, source of annoyance, thorn in someone’s flesh, thorn in someone’s side, pest, bother, trial, torment, plague, inconvenience, nuisance, bugbear, menace.
- Example: It was a minor pinprick in his side that his plan had not succeeded.
4.Hedge(noun)-A way of protecting oneself against financial loss or other adverse circumstances.
- SYNONYMS: safeguard, protection, shield, screen, guard, buffer, cushion.
- Example: Diversify your financial portfolio to hedge price risks.
5.Proliferation(noun)- Rapid increase in the number or amount of something.
- SYNONYMS: increase, expansion, augmentation, multiplication, enlargement, amplification, mushrooming, snowballing, rise, escalation, build-up.
- Example: Stopping nuclear proliferation should be the goal of every country.
6.Fiat(noun)-A formal authorization or proposition; a decree.
- SYNONYMS: decree, edict, order, command, commandment, injunction, proclamation, mandate, dictum, diktat, promulgation, precept.
- Example:The Attorney-General has granted a fiat in order for them to have standing.
7.Modicum(noun)- A small quantity of a particular thing, especially something desirable or valuable.
- SYNONYMS: little bit, small amount, particle, degree, speck, fragment, scrap, crumb, grain, morsel, taste, soupçon, shred, mite, dash, drop, pinch, ounce, touch, tinge, dab, jot, iota, whit, tittle, jot or tittle, atom, inch, snippet, sliver, smattering, scintilla, hint, suggestion, whisper, trifle.
- Example: His statement had a modicum of truth.
8. Discretionary(adj)-having or using the ability to act or decide according to your own discretion or judgment.
- SYNONYMS: optional, non-compulsory, voluntary, at one’s discretion, up to the individual, non-mandatory, elective, open to choice.
- Example: The commission has discretionary power to award extra funds.
9. Seigniorage(noun)- Profit made by a government by issuing currency, especially the difference between the face value of coins and their production costs.
- Example: First, the issuer of the key currency can collect seigniorage.
10.Endogenous(Adj)- Having an internal cause or origin.
- SYNONYMS: internal, remote, domestic, gut, home, intimate, private, secret, autogenous, in-house, inland, inner, innermost, inward, visceral, viscerous, within.
- Example:The expected rate of infection is endogenous to the system.
For Daily updates please go through Daily Vocabulary. Follow us