Dear Readers of Daily Vocabulary Update,
As we know that all competitive exams whether it is Banking or SSC or any, are lined up in upcoming months and vocabulary plays a crucial role to score minimum 4-5 marks within few seconds if you are going to learn Vocabulary on the very daily basis it will going to help you to get that marks easily in your pocket. So here Daily Vocabulary update provides you with some words on daily basis to help you to attain your goal.
Thought of the day: “Always, end the day with a Positive Thought, no matter how hard things were. Tomorrow’s a fresh Opportunity to make it Better.”
Daily Vocabulary Update-
1. Meretricious(Adj)- Apparently attractive but having no real value.
- SYNONYMS: flashy, pretentious, gaudy, tawdry, trashy, garish, chintzy, brummagem, loud, tinselly, cheap, tasteless, kitschy.
- Example: Meretricious souvenirs for the tourist trade.
2. Unkempt(Adj)- (especially of a person) having an untidy or dishevelled appearance.
- SYNONYMS: untidy, messy, scruffy, disordered, dishevelled, disarranged, rumpled, windblown, ungroomed, bedraggled, in a mess, messed up, shabby, slovenly, shaggy.
- Example: Universities offering an eclectic mix of courses.
3.Chauvinist(Noun)- A person displaying aggressive or exaggerated patriotism.
- SYNONYMS: sexist, male chauvinist, misogynist, woman-hater, anti-feminist, male supremacist.
- Example: A hard-drinking male chauvinist.
4. Arbiter(Noun)- A person who settles a dispute or has ultimate authority in a matter.
- SYNONYMS: judge, authority, determiner.
- Example: The Secretary of State is the final arbiter.
5. Adroit(Adj)- Clever or skilful.
- SYNONYMS: skilful, adept, dexterous, deft, agile, nimble, nimble-fingered, handy.
- Example: He was adroit at tax avoidance.
6. Catastrophe(Noun)- An event causing great and usually sudden damage or suffering; a disaster.
- SYNONYMS: disaster, calamity, cataclysm, crisis, holocaust, ruin, ruination, tragedy, blow, shock.
- Example: An environmental catastrophe.
7. Vestige(Noun)- A trace or remnant of something that is disappearing or no longer exists.
- SYNONYMS: remnant, remainder, fragment, relic, echo, indication, sign, trace, mark, print, imprint, impression, legacy, reminder, memento, souvenir, token, trophy.
- Example: He waited patiently, but without a vestige of sympathy.
8. Pacifist(Noun)- A person who believes that war and violence are unjustifiable.
- SYNONYMS: peace-lover, conscientious objector, passive resister, peacemaker, peace-monger, appeaser, pacifier.
- Example: She was a committed pacifist all her life.
9. Truthiness(Noun)- The quality of seeming or being felt to be true, even if not necessarily true.
- Example: It’s not as great a made-up word as “truthiness,” but I like it.
10.Colloquial(Adj)- (of language) used in ordinary or familiar conversation; not formal or literary.
- SYNONYMS: informal, conversational, everyday, casual, non-literary.
- Example: This is the origin of the colloquial use of ‘coconut’ to refer to one’s head.
Daily updates please go through Daily Vocabulary. Follow us